Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What I want in a Governor

I don't think I can recall a time in recent history where the stakes have
been higher for a gubernatorial election.  With the Minnesota economy in a
steady, but fragile recovery; a whopping $6-7 billion state budget
deficit; and a massive wave of baby-boomers about to retire, the need for
a leader with vision and skills is essential.
The truth is that our state economy, while weakened, is not doing that
bad.  Our state budget on the other hand is a mess because both Democrat
and Republican leaders have mismanaged it for most of the past decade.
Putting the needs of their party ahead of the needs of their state, our
leaders have been content to kick the can down the road, while praying
that the economy takes off again.  Too bad it didn't work.
So as I listen to the current crop of gubernatorial candidates all I hear
is the same old tax the rich message from one party; and a trickle down -
starve the beast message from the other.  This is not leadership.
I want a new kind of leader for a 21st Century Minnesota.  I want a leader
that is not bound and censored by party officials.  I want a leader who
wants to solve problems - not just win elections.  I want a leader who
cares about the well-being of our small rural towns, as well our Fortune
500 companies.  And I want a leader who is not shy about telling me that
we all will have to sacrifice to get out of this mess.  I want ... Tom
Horner as our next Governor.

No comments:

Post a Comment