Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Is Tom Horner the Guy?

Like many policy junkies, I've been doing my best keeping up with the twists and turns of the 2010 Governor's race. I read a lot in the papers, check out the blogs (both good and bad), and went to some of the gubernatorial forums. But with each passing day I find myself more drawn to the campaign of Tom Horner than I ever would have expected. In general I have always thought of myself as a slightly left-of-center independent voter with a greater propensity to vote for the democratic candidate; but have had no regrets voting for Arne Carlson, Dave Durrenberger, or G.H.W. Bush.

My greatest concern is with the state of our state budget. However, unlike others I am not concerned with the state of the Minnesota economy, which seems to be in a reasonable recovery mode, although it's not recovering as fast as people may like. Besides, there is little that government can do to significantly accelerate the economy ... So why worry about it?

On the other hand, our state budget is an area where we do have a bit more control, so I have been looking at the candidates, with an ear open to learn what their thinking actually is in this regard. To be honest, the bar I set is not very high! I am not looking for a candidate's grand plan for balancing the budget, for I know that they don't really have one. But I want to have a sense of their direction and understand why.

And it is in that context that I find myself drawn to Tom Horner. Maybe it's because he doesn't have a political machine to censor him, or maybe it's just his way of communicating, but I find him to be both thoughtful and refreshingly candid. And it's not just that he's not a Democrat or not a Republican. Let's be honest ... The Independence Party is not much of a party, nor do I understand what they stand for. But in his campaign to date, he has not only shared what direction he wishes to take the State ... But WHY!! And for me, I see his logic and it makes sense.

As The Rural Guy, I didn't really see myself embracing a politician from Edina. But I think this guy gets it. He gets it with his pick of Jim Mulder as a running mate; he gets it with his thinking on LGA; and he gets it with his ideas on tax reform.

Finally, I read the results of a recent survey of Twin Cities business people who were asked which candidate would be best equipped to handle the state budget situation and Mr. Horner was ranked first. Then these same business people were asked who was likely to win the Governor's race and Mr. Horner ranked fourth. I'm not sure what exactly to make of that, other than Mr. Horner has a lot of work to do.

But I think I want to help this guy.

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciated reading your thoughtful post.

    I have been volunteering for the Independence Party for around 10 years. I am posting to explain a bit about the IPMN.

    I can't argue with your comment "The Independence Party is not much of a party,..". Compared to the 2 national parties who run on budgets of millions of dollars the IP doesn't seem like much of a party. On average the IP runs on less than $30,00 a year. We are an entirely volunteer organization. But despite this the party has maintained major party status in MN for 16 years. An amazing accomplishment with the odds it faces.

    The reason the IP operates on so few dollars has to do with one of the major stands of the Independence Party. The one thing that makes us completely different from the other major political parties. The IP does not take special interest money and neither do our candidates. This independence from special interests influence allows our candidates to stand up for what they believe in. They are free to create solutions that focus on results for the greater good not the benefit if one group over another.

    Another major difference between the Independence Party and the other two is something you pointed out in your post when you said, "because he doesn't have a political machine to censor him..". The IP platform lays out basic ideas and allow the candidates to create their own policy. The IP wants voters to be electing people to serve us in office not their political party. Here is a link to the platform http://www.independenceminnesota.org/about-the-ip/platformprinciples/61-responsible .

    With the other two parties moving ever towards the extremes candidates like Tim Horner are unlikely to make it to their ballot line. Even Arne Carlson was not endorsed by the Republicans. He was put on their ballot line after contesting and winning the endorsed republican in a primary. Carlson was endorsed by the Independence Party.

    Thanks again for the interesting blog. Laura Knudsen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rural Guy, I encourage you to look up and read the Independence Party platform. It isn't a novel like those of the other major parties, just a few pages worth of core ideas, values, and beliefs. It will be well worth your time and you will gain some understanding of what our party stands for. It could help put your support of Mr. Horner into a new perspective. Thanks for the support and the common sense blogging! It was very refreshing. All the best,
    Immanuel Bahlmann

    ReplyDelete